My book: Take Care of the Living, published by the University of Virginia Press in 2009
My class sites and major student projects:
- HIST325–History of Technology and Culture–Spring 2017
- HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2016
- HIST428–Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2016
- FSEM100–Beyond the Selfie: Identities in the Digital Age–Fall 2015
- HIST327–US Women’s History to 1870–Fall 2015
- HIST325–History of Technology and Culture–Spring 2015
- HIST1914–Century America–Class taught at 11 COPLAC institutions simultaneously in Spring 2014 and Spring 2015
- HIST329–US History in Film — Fall 2014
- HIST471D7–History of the Information Age–Fall 2014
- HIST428–Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2014
- HIST327–US Women’s History to 1870–Fall 2013
- HIST471E4–History of US Mental Institutions–Fall 2013
- HIST325–History of American Technology and Culture–Spring 2013 [Digital projects located here.]
HIST471A3–Remembering the American Civil War–Spring 2013
- FSEM100RR–When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2012
- HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2012
- “Gone with The Wind and the Civil War,” recorded session with class in Fall 2012, and first broadcast on CSPAN in February 2013
- HIST 471C3–Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2012
- Digitized and transcribed recordings of 13 of James Farmer’s lectures
- UMW Buildings Project
- Political Cartoon Collection from James Monroe Museum
- James Monroe’s Letters as Minister to France
- HIST 328 — US Women’s History since 1870 — Spring 2012
- HIST471D7–History of the Information Age–Fall 2011
- HIST325–History of American Technology and Culture–Spring 2011
- [And the final product of the class, an exhibit of their work: History of American Technology]
- HIST471A3–Remembering the American Civil War–Spring 2011
- FSEM100RR–When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2010
HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2010
- HIST471C3–Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2010
- FSEM100–TED.com–Ideas Worth Sharing–Fall 2009 (co-taught with Tim O’Donnell)
- HIST325–History of American Technology and Culture–Spring 2009
- FSEM100RR–When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2008
HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2008
- HIST471C3 — Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2008
- FSEM100RR — When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2007
HIST299 — Introduction to the Study of History–Fall 2007
My Online Presence:
- Techist — My personal blog about teaching, history, and technology.
- Chronicle of a Pseudo-DIY, Musings on a Domain of Own’s Own — Mini-blogs about various projects and initiatives.
- ProfHacker — I’m a contributor to this group blog at the Chronicle of Higher Education on pedagogy and productivity in higher education.
- Digital Campus — I’m an occasional guest (an “Irregular”) on this podcast about digital technology and its impact on campus life. (See episodes 44, 53, 57, and 72)
- DH Now — I was a “founding passive editor” of the initial version of a Digital Humanities information filtering project started by Dan Cohen.
- jmcclurken — My Twitter feed for comments on Digital Humanities, history, teaching, and technology
- wheresthechair— My previously used Twitter feed for my office hours and presence on campus
My Recorded Presentations:
- C-SPAN interview with Beverly Gage about the History of Detectives and Private Investigation, recorded April 2014.
- Interview on With Good Reason about my US History in Film Class, recorded November 2014, broadcast December 2014.
- Minding the Future Panel at OpenVA which I moderated in October 2013, rebroadcast in edited form on With Good Reason in November 2013.
- C-SPAN BookTV feature on Take Care of the Living, September 2013.
- Years of Anguish: Struggle at the Battle of Fredericksburg, recorded November 17, 2012, and first broadcast on CSPAN in December 2012. [Co-organized and moderated this lecture series.]
- Before the Battle of Fredericksburg, recorded October 16, 2012, and first broadcast on CSPAN in December 2012.
- Text from UMW Senior Convocation Speech, 2012
- Interview about Confederate Veteran Families and trauma on With Good Reason, August 2011. See also Companion Feature at the bottom of the page.
- Keynote Address at JMU’s Teaching and Learning with Technology Conference, October 2010.
- Banner Lecture, Virginia Historical Society, “Take Care of the Living: Reconstructing Confederate Veteran Families in Virginia,” June 2010 [Audio only]
- UMW’s Teaching Excellence Series Presentation, “Teaching and Learning,” April 2010 [Links]
- Presentation to Honor Convocation, 2008
My campus Flickr photostream: