This is the central site for Dr. Jeffrey W. McClurken, Chair and Associate Professor of History and American Studies at the University of Mary Washington.
My book: Take Care of the Living, published by UVA Press in 2009
My class sites:
- HIST325–History of American Technology and Culture–Spring 2013
HIST471A3–Remembering the American Civil War–Spring 2013
- FSEM100RR–When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2012
HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2012
- “Gone with The Wind and the Civil War,” recorded session with class in Fall 2012, and first broadcast on CSPAN in February 2013
- HIST 471C3–Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2012
- HIST 328 — US Women’s History since 1870 — Spring 2012
- HIST471D7–History of the Information Age–Fall 2011
- HIST325–History of American Technology and Culture–Spring 2011
- [And the final product of the class, an exhibit of their work: History of American Technology]
- HIST471A3–Remembering the American Civil War–Spring 2011
- FSEM100RR–When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2010
HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2010
- HIST471C3–Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2010
- FSEM100–TED.com–Ideas Worth Sharing–Fall 2009 (co-taught with Tim O’Donnell)
- HIST325–History of American Technology and Culture–Spring 2009
- FSEM100RR–When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2008
HIST329–US History in Film–Fall 2008
- HIST471C3 — Adventures in Digital History–Spring 2008
- FSEM100RR — When Americans Came Marching Home–Fall 2007
HIST299 — Introduction to the Study of History–Fall 2007
My Online Presence:
- Techist — My personal blog about teaching, history, and technology.
- Chronicle of a Pseudo-DIY, Musings on a Domain of Own’s Own – Mini-blogs about various projects and initiatives.
- ProfHacker — I’m a contributor to this group blog at the Chronicle of Higher Education on pedagogy and productivity in higher education.
- Digital Campus — I’m an occasional guest (an “Irregular”) on this podcast about digital technology and its impact on campus life. (See episodes 44, 53, 57, and 72)
- DH Now — I was a “founding passive editor” of the initial version of a Digital Humanities information filtering project started by Dan Cohen.
- jmcclurken — My Twitter feed for comments on Digital Humanities, history, teaching, and technology
- wheresthechair– My Twitter feed for my office hours and presence on campus [UMWers, please request a follow]
My Recorded Presentations:
- Years of Anguish: Struggle at the Battle of Fredericksburg, recorded November 17, 2012, and first broadcast on CSPAN in December 2012. [Co-organized and moderated this lecture series.]
- Before the Battle of Fredericksburg, recorded October 16, 2012, and first broadcast on CSPAN in December 2012.
- Text from UMW Senior Convocation Speech, 2012
- Interview about Confederate Veteran Families and trauma on With Good Reason, August 2011. See also Companion Feature at the bottom of the page.
- Keynote Address at JMU’s Teaching and Learning with Technology Conference, October 2010.
- Banner Lecture, Virginia Historical Society, “Take Care of the Living: Reconstructing Confederate Veteran Families in Virginia,” June 2010 [Audio only]
- UMW’s Teaching Excellence Series Presentation, “Teaching and Learning,” April 2010 [Links]
- Presentation to Honor Convocation, 2008
I’ve also been an active participant in planning of the Virginia Forum, an annual meeting of historians, geographers, literary scholars, historic preservationists, archivists, and librarians: http://virginiaforum.org/
My campus Flickr photostream: